The ‘FICCI CSR Award 2012-13’ recognises efforts of the companies which engage in CSR in a strategic and systematic manner and integrate it with their overall corporate strategy.
Corporate India is slowly but surely demonstrating that social responsibility is becoming an integral part of an organizational structure. CSR initiatives are largely observed in the field of education and health followed by livelihood development, infrastructure and sports and the top environment activities include tree plantations, rain water harvesting and solid waste management.
These findings are revealed by a FICCI Aditya Birla CSR Centre for Excellence and ‘4th Wheel’ publication titled, ‘Shaping India’s Development Story… CSR ideology and investment’ which was released by Arun Maira, Member Planning Commission, Government of India, in the presence of Sidharth Birla, President of FICCI and Rajashree Birla, Chairperson, FICCI CSR and Community Development Committee, at a function to felicitate the winners of ‘FICCI CSR Award 2012-13’.
Between 2010 and 2012, 70 entries were received and analyzed and 43 companies of repute in the CSR sphere were selected to elaborate on CSR strategy, Intervention areas, Corporate governance, HR policies and Environment related initiatives. The companies represented sectors such as Banking, Finance and Insurance, Chemicals, Steel, Automobile and Tools. Energy and Power, Paper, Mining and Petroleum, Technology and Outsourcing, Pharmaceuticals, Electronics, Hospitality, Civil Engineering and Tools, Healthcare and Beauty, Media, Construction and Real estate and FMCG.
Some of the other key findings are:
1. Of the 43 companies, 37 note that CSR is an integral part of the organization
2. In terms of budget allocation, 10 companies invest less than 1 per cent of their annual income, 6 companies invest more than 3 per cent and the remaining 23 companies invest somewhere between 1-3 per cent.
3. Most common partnerships stated by companies have been community led partnerships which are executed with community participations and building local institutions.
4. 38 companies promote employee volunteering
5. 21 companies report on Clause 39 compliance which focuses on Corporate Governance and transparency
6. 40 companies document process and progress of their CSR activities
7. 37 companies have business ethics as an active part of their HR policies
The award winners of ‘FICCI CSR Award 2012-13’ in the public and private sectors include GMR Hyderabad International Airport Limited, Cairn India Limited, NTPC Limited, Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited, Nature Bio-Foods Limited, Elin Appliances Pvt. Ltd. and ACC Limited.
Appreciation plaque was given away to finalists, which include Amway India Enterprises Pvt. Ltd., Standard Chartered Bank, The Royal Bank of Scotland, KPIT Technologies Limited and HUL.
This award aims at identifying and recognising the efforts of companies in integrating and internalising Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) into their core business operations.
Over the years, a number of companies including ITC Limited, Mahindra & Mahindra, SAIL, Tata Tea, Infosys, Tata Chemicals, HINDALCO, TISCO, TELCO, Lupin, Gujarat Ambuja Cement, etc. have been recognised for their exemplary work in the area of CSR.